Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Race Day: Pat's Run

We got up around 4am and were moving a little slow, but still made our way down to SDS (the stadium) by about 4:45.  We arrived in Lot 59 to see volunteers already hard at work, putting the finishing touches on the Finish Line Expo. Also, in a humbling moment, I watched as security swept the parking lot, with over a dozen dogs sniffing every car in sight. Shortly after arriving, we met up with Judy (race committee) who put us to work, helping prep the VIP tent. We set tables, stocked refreshments, and because Judy was trying to diversify my course offerings to include HomeEc, she had myself and Taylor arrange pastry platters.



After the VIP tent was in pretty good shape, we went to go explore the Expo for a bit, before heading back to the car to get our race gear on.  We briefly met up with the Gentrups (Lindsay's family), stretched, snapped some pre-race photos, and made our way to the starting line. Taylor was on camera duty for the morning, as her knee ligaments would keep her from running, but Joelle, Lindsay, Marisa, and I took up our spots at the corral 12 station.  There were more than 25 corrals, with over 11,000 total runners. It was quite a sight to see on a beautiful morning - all these people, decked out in their #42's (Pat's ASU number) or #40's (Pat's NFL number), a little red/white/blue, and also some of the ASU gold and maroon.

The starting line was definitely a moving experience, from the National Anthem to the anticipation of our corral moving toward the line, I reflected on the moment I was in, unable to really believe that here I was running this race, after 8 years of admiring this man. It was (and still is) incredible to think that this one little book I decided to use in the classroom, had culminated in a hands-on service experience for my students, as well as myself...standing in that line is truly a moment that I will never forget. As corral 11 launched, we moved into a slight jog and I got the iPod ready to go - I had told the girls that I would wait back to start with their corral, but that once we crossed the line, nothing but my music would dictate my pace. I was glad to share the starting line with the girls, but running for me is a predominantly introverted experience; no offense to running companions, but my running formula consists of the air, my music, the sights, my thoughts, and my memories. We approached the line, I told the girls I was proud of them, cranked up Matisyahu's One Day, and was off.  It was quite apropos that my iPod shuffled to that song, which begins with the lyrics, "sometimes I lie under the moon, and thank God that I'm breathing...," which is how I could best describe how blessed, fortunate, and humbled I felt to be in that moment.

The course was easily the most beautiful I've ever run - featuring the sights of Tempe Town Lake and ASU's campus. Not to mention that this race had a different kind of energy around it; a unique feel that transcended other races where I was running just for me - this felt more like we were all running together, just because. The finish line experience was exhilarating, as I ran into SDS and finished the 4.2 mile run at the 42 yard line, at a time mark of 31:37. I took a second to look around the stadium, absorb the moment, appreciate all the forces that contributed to me arriving at this place in time, and just breathe. I bumped into Suzanne who was helping coordinate people traffic, and couldn't help but give her a big sweaty hug, thanking her for allowing us to have such a special role with the event.

I met up with the girls so that we could get our VIP tent wrist bands (yes, we made the list), and we grabbed a table. After hanging for a little bit, we were honored with the opportunity to meet Pat's wife Marie. We presented her with the #42 jersey from the inaugural CNU Football season, as our football program had inscribed the name "Tillman" on it before we left for the trip. Marie didn't have much time to chat, as she understandably had a lot going on that day, but she did take a minute to thank us and show her appreciation.  Meanwhile, I did get some time to share words with both her husband, Joe, and her brother-in-law, Alex. We spoke about varying topics, but I made sure to let them know that we would love to play host at CNU, should some foundation members want to make a visit.

Overall race day was, in a word - perfect, and I'll never forget it.  We went back to the hotel to finally rest for the first time in 3 days, caught some sun, took a dip in the pool, then headed out for dinner followed by the ASU baseball game vs. Valparaiso at Packard Stadium on campus.  When I finally laid my head on the pillow, it all hit me at once - that even though I believed all along the trip was going to be a success, I now knew that this trip was meant to be, and that we had both represented CNU to the highest of standards and been fortunate enough to experience great personal growth as well.  What a feeling to go to sleep with.

Pre-race w/ the girls

Post-race w/ Judy

Presenting the CNU #42 to Marie

Finish Line

Our baseline view from Packard Stadium

Leaving the baseball game (thanks to Frank the ticket-taker for the photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment